The Philly Recipe Project: Showing you new ways to use delicious vegan products local to Philly at home!
Ditch your usual sauces for this sweet, purple BBQ with a kick of heat!
The star ingredient, FAIYA's Purple Flame hot sauce, makes this one of a kind BBQ sauce a spicy, tangy, and fruity compliment to any foods you love dipping or saucing.
Check out the serving suggestion at the end if you're stumped on how you can use this BBQ sauce in a meal!
2 cups frozen blueberries
1/4 cup bourbon
1/2 cup white onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 cup FAIYA Purple Flame
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tsp salt
pinch black pepper
pinch white pepper
- Add olive oil to a medium sauce pan over low heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and spices (cinnamon, cumin, white pepper, black pepper, and salt). Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add coconut sugar, ketchup, bourbon, apple cider vinegar, FAIYA Purple Flame hot sauce, and blueberries. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-high.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until berries start to burst.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir, mashing up blueberries with your spoon in the process. Continue to simmer for 20-30 more minutes.
- When sauce has thickened desired amount, take off heat.
- Serve along side fries, wings, on a sandwich or burger, or anything else you can think!
Optional: If you like a smooth BBQ sauce, transfer sauce to blender and blend until smooth
Don't know what to try the sauce on first? How about this Spicy BBQ Cheddar Sandwich!
sliced ciabatta roll or sourdough bread slices
seitan "turkey" or "brisket" slices
shredded red cabbage
vegan cheddar slices
raw or fried onions
serrano or jalapeno slices
spicy blueberry bourbon BBQ sauce
- Place vegan cheddar on one slice of bread or half of roll.
- On other slice of bread or half of roll, place a layer of seitan turkey or brisket, then a generous layer of spicy blueberry bourbon BBQ sauce.
- Place both sides of your sandwich in the oven under a low broil for 2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Layer sliced tomatoes, serrano peppers, crispy onions, and shredded cabbage atop the BBQ sauced side.
- Top the sandwich with the melted cheese bread slice.