The Philly Recipe Project: Pizza Punx Spicy Pizza Rolls
As you may know, Plant Basting's main goal is creating projects that promote veganism. With that in mind, here's our newest series where we'll be creating recipes featuring products local to Philly!
The Philly Recipe Project: Showing you new ways to use delicious vegan products local to Philly at home!
Vegan pizza rolls are the perfect nostalgia-inducing snack to treat yourself to!
And if you love spicy food, you're in luck because these rolls pack a fiery punch. All thanks to the addition of Weaksauce's Pizza Punx hot sauce!
spicy pizza sauce
oil, for frying
Spicy Pizza Sauce:
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
5 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup Weaksauce Pizza Punx
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over low heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining sauce ingredients except for Pizza Punx and cook covered over medium high heat for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take sauce off of heat and stir in Pizza Punx hot sauce.
- Dice vegan pepperoni into small pieces. Add to a bowl along with shredded vegan cheese and spicy pizza sauce. Mix together until well combined.
- Cut wonton wrappers into squares.
- To wrap pockets, add about a tablespoon of filling into the middle of a wrapper. Dip a finger in some water to run around all edges of the wrapper. Take two sides and fold them in on themselves, allowing one side to overlap the other to creat a seam. Seal the open top and bottom seams with a finger. Fold top and bottom seams over, and press to seal the sides.(see below photo for example of sealed pocket) Repeat until you're out of filling!
- In a pan, heat 1-2 inches of an oil of your choice (I suggest vegetable, canola, or sunflower oil) over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, fry 4-5 pizza rolls at a time in oil. Flip rolls over when sides have browned, and remove once brown on both sides.
- Transfer freshly fried rolls to a paper towel lined plate or sheet pan to drain excess oil.
- Allow pizza rolls to cool for AT LEAST 5 minutes before eating. They'll be very hot, so be careful. Rip one open to check the temperature before biting. Enjoy!
Want more recipes featuring vegan products local to Philly? Sign up HERE or below to get a recipe weekly!